Monday, September 6, 2010

Greetings Everyone!


Hi there! My name is Michael Webb and I am a concurrent student here at Pima Community College and the University of Arizona.  I enjoy an active lifestyle, have two dogs, and love spontaneity! I am rather excited about this because I feel it will bring me closer to electing a major while simultaneously opening my cultural perspectives. My personal goal throughout this experience is to keep an open mind on topics that may otherwise make me uncomfortable or awkward.  Hopefully, with the help of honest discussion about these kinds of subjects will make me more knowledgeable, well rounded, and culturally diverse. 

Through discussion with Lori pertaining to the possibilities and opportunities available to WRC interns, I found that the WRC is the place I want to be this semester! I intend to be a member of the sexual health committee and also take on a portion of the webmaster responsibilities. My involvement will hopefully bring me closer to electing a major while simultaneously opening my cultural perspectives. My personal goal throughout this experience is to keep an open mind on topics that may otherwise make me uncomfortable or awkward.  Hopefully, with the help of honest discussion about these kinds of subjects I will become more knowledgeable, well rounded, and culturally diverse.  My excitement is immense and I cannot wait to start making a difference through this outlet.

I am 22 years old and I identify as a homosexual. I became open with my sexuality when I was a 16-year-old junior at Palo Verde high School here in Tucson. For some, it is hard to understand something that is foreign to you or differs from the normal. I can relate on some level; however, it is difficult to be what is misunderstood. My mother was raised by a Southern Baptist preacher, and my father just retired from the Armed Forces. At first, there was a great deal of emotional stress, but now things are much more positive. Acceptance has been a gradual process, but fortunately, I have a very loving family that is willing to make an attempt.

Coming out has allowed me to grow into the young adult I am today. As a student, I am involved with a couple of campus LGBT activism/equality groups. I am the current president of the Omega Chapter of Delta Lambda Phi National Social Fraternity for gay, bi, and progressive men. Having this role enables me to steer the direction of my organization and influence the experience of my brothers. The UofA’s “Pride Alliance” puts on several events and I sometimes volunteer and participate. I am also a sitting delegate of the “LGBT Campus Coalition” made up of all the leaders of the LGBT groups on campus.

For four years, I was a member of the UofA’s marching band, and for the past two summers I participated in DCI as a member of the Color Guard in the Blue Knights. Drum corps (DCI) is the most enthralling experience I have ever faced in my life.

Aside from that, I have been a Tucsonan since 2000, but I also lived in Great Britain for 5 years prior. Most of my family is from the east coast, specifically South Carolina. I consider myself lucky because I have visited at least 30 of the 50 states in the U.S.

Some of my hobbies include, but are not limited to: volleyball, hiking, parties, Facebook, dogs, DCI, BBQ’s, social justice, weather and much more.

Thank you for reading and feel free to say hello! I look forward to the many adventures at hand!

-Michael


No comments: