Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Hi!  My name is Elizabeth Dake and I am a senior at the U of A.  This is my first semester as a WRC intern, and I can't wait to start my work on the Health & Sexuality Committee.  I am a History and Religious Studies double major and have minors in Gender & Women's Studies and Sociology.  This semester I will be preceptoring the Sociology of Gender class and starting my honors thesis-- Teaching Morality: The Influence of the Religious Right on Sex Education and the Consequences of Abstinence-Only.


Throughout college, I wanted to be involved with the WRC, but never felt that I was in a position to help other women.  Although I was passionate about women's issues and social change, I felt that without solving all of my own problems first, I would be unable to help others.  As I read more works by feminist authors, I began to see that the people involved in feminism were people who were brought to the movement through their own experiences with oppression and discrimination  I finally realized that by remaining silent, I was delaying the possibility of change.  This year, I intend to remember daily that both public policy and individual action have material and emotional consequences-- to delay change is to prolong the oppression and real suffering of others.  


I am most excited about the Sex Ed, College Style program.  It is a huge privilege to be involved with a program as popular as SECS-- I believe that if our generation is knowledgeable about sexual responsibility, as well as sexual health, then the future of sex education, STI awareness, and the recognition and prevention of sexual assault will look very different.  Through such programs, the mysteries and stigmas surrounding sex, STIs, and sexual assault can be illuminated and undone.  I am looking forward to my first SECS presentation, and am so excited about all the other amazing programs the WRC is offering this semester!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much! Your story has inspired me to become a femminist activist.

tiffany said...

you are fantastic!!!! i love your bio and glad to see good people at the wrc!

- tiffany former co-director of the wrc in 2008-2009

yanmaneee said...

moncler
air max 270
balenciaga
fila disruptor
timberlands
goyard tote
off white nike
nike shoes
air jordan
air max 95

sothosh said...

replica bags hong kong gucci replica s2e39o8w59 7a replica bags wholesale find out here g1e17w6s47 replica ysl replica bags wholesale mumbai c3b06f8l85 our website c7h34n4o95 louis vuitton replica replica bags india