Sunday, September 5, 2010

Hiya everyone!

Hello everyone! I am so looking forward to working with the Women's Resource Center this year and meeting all you!! 

My name is Cazia Glen. I'm a new intern with the WRC and I'm going to be involved with SECS and the Educational Programming Committee this semester. I'm a double major in sociology and psychology and plan to go to graduate school. During my time at the U of A I've been active in quite a  few groups, including the Sociology Club, Psi Chi, Sociologists for Women in Society and the last two years I've been junior-editor of Persona magazine (U of A's undergraduate literary magazine). I've always supported the WRC's mission and I feel it's definitely about time I contribute more directly to it!

Though I've been fascinated by culture and society, and how each has the ability to change, since I attended an international school in Europe for high school, it wasn't until college that I really began to specifically unravel the complex connections between power relations, normativity, sex and gender. I would say my education thus far has played a key role in developing my personal sense of feminism. Though I obviously want to change many things about the way society currently operates (particularly in how people tend to evaluate each other based on socially constructed categories), I remain optimistic in regards to positive change for women. 

Again, I am excited to meet you all and definitely say hi if you see me around! I hope we all have a great year. C=