Monday, September 19, 2011

Meet the Interns: Anastasia Freyermuth

            Hello to the wonderful readers of this blog! My name is Anastasia Freyermuth. For those who may have followed the Women’s Resource Center’s blog in previous semesters, you may notice that I am a returning intern. However, for this coming semester I am returning as a new Co-Director for our newly re-named student branch of the WRC, F.O.R.C.E (Feminist Organized to Resist, Create, and Empower). I am thrilled and honored by this new position and hope to continue the efforts made by both groups to bring attention to gender equity issues within the Tucson community and abroad. My excitement surrounding this new role also stems from the fact that I find it to be a perfect equilibrium of academic study and practice! By this I mean that, being a Gender and Women’s Studies major, I often read several didactic and important forms of scholarly research delving into the multifaceted aspects that make up oppression(s) with little reference of what grassroots work I can do in order to uproot such systemic injustices. Fortunately though, the Women’s Resource Center has offered me such an opportunity, and with my other position as Co-Chair of the Film Series, I hope to attain the necessary skills to fully realize my dream of one day becoming a feminist filmmaker. Nevertheless, the amazing opportunities provided by the WRC/F.O.R.C.E could not be fully realized without an amazing Director and devoted interns. With respect to the former, I am grateful to introduce our new Director, Krista Millay! As some of you may recall, our remarkable Director of the past year and a half, Lori Von Buggenum, went on to achieve greater things over the summer. Thankfully, Krista immediately stepped up to the plate and has provided some fresh insight on how to grow the WRC. Possessing such a great Director only adds to our remarkable new intern team at F.O.R.C.E. Having so many new faces and unique insights has been insurmountably beneficial for the establishment of F.O.R.C.E. My dream then for this semester would be to have F.O.R.C.E. be in the trenches, if you will, battling the numerous forms of oppression affecting both the personal and political; to become a necessary “force” within the most essential form of social justice, activism.

No comments: