Thursday, September 1, 2011

Meet the Interns: Kemi


My 5 year old brother & I

Hey, my name’s Kemi, I’m a new intern for F.O.R.C.E.  I’m a sophomore, but it’s my first year here at the University of Arizona (I transferred from a school in Ohio). I’m a pre-med student majoring in Gender & Women’s Studies, with a minor in Chemistry. My strong belief in reproductive justice has made me interested in becoming an OB/GYN.

So, why did I join F.O.R.C.E.?
I’m really passionate about women’s issues, and equality. (I think I’m going to have to thank the Spice Girls for instilling the notion of “Girl Power” in me.) As a child of immigrants, I’m especially interested in how women are treated in different cultures, and how feminism has cross-sections with many aspects of society. Despite my major, I still don’t know that much about feminism, so what better way to learn even more about it than to immerse myself in it this semester? I also wanted to get involved in campus one way or another, especially as a new student.

Feminism isn’t the only thing I’m into. I’m obsessed with politics and spent some time working on the 2010 midterm elections (I’m pumped for 2012!). I also am very passionate about immigration reform and the Invisible Children Organization. When I’m not doing anything related to those things, I spend my time reading, knitting, and watching television series on Netflix.

1 comment:

Zoneziwoh said...

This is beautifu FORCE. I definitely appreciate what you ladies are doing.

I am also into Campus/University association on girls. I have done quite much on issues relating to SGBV on campus. I look forward to knowing more about your programs and projects.

http://zofem.blogspot.com